UNC BIKE SHARE
HOW IT WORKS
Find and reserve a bike using our mobile app, at app.socialbicycles.com in your browser or on the bicycle itself
Once you’ve reserved a ride, just enter your 4-digit PIN code on the keypad to unlock the bike. Remember to ride safely and follow safety rules.
Want to stop for coffee? Press the “HOLD” button and lock the bike to a rack. Just re-enter your 4-digit PIN to unlock and continue riding.
To end your trip, lock your bike at one of the regular bike racks within the system map.
MEMBERSHIP FEE: $0
RIDE TIME: 1 hour/day free, 30 minutes in hold time
$6/HOUR OVERAGE FEE UP TO $24 MAX + $30 IF KEPT AFTER 24 HOURS
Additional Pricing Info
- $5 FEE FOR LOCKING A BIKE OUTSIDE AN OFFICIAL HUB, BUT WITHIN THE SYSTEM AREA.
- $50 FEE FOR LOCKING A BIKE OUTSIDE OF THE SYSTEM AREA.
- MAXIMUM CHARGE FOR RIDING TIME IS $24 PER DAY PER BIKE.
- ONLY ONE BIKE MAY BE RESERVED AND/OR CHECKED OUT AT ONE TIME.
- TRIPS ARE PRORATED TO THE MINUTE.
- PUT A BIKE ON “HOLD” BEFORE LOCKING IT TO A RACK TO MAINTAIN YOUR RESERVATION. THE CLOCK WILL KEEP TICKING. THE MAXIMUM HOLD TIME IS 30 MINUTES FOR THE DAILY PLAN AND 60 MINUTES FOR THE LIFESTYLE PLAN.
- CLOCK STARTS WHEN YOU RESERVE A BIKE VIA MOBILE/WEB.
PRICES DON’T INCLUDE SALES TAX.
Do you want to become more involved with Tar Heel Bikes and earn ridership credits along the way? We need users, just like you, to naturally rebalance the system to ensure there are bikes available at all stations for users! How to earn credits:
- EARN $1 IN TAR HEEL BIKES CREDITS WHEN RETURNING A BIKE TO A DESIGNATED HUB LOCATION THAT WAS PREVIOUSLY PARKED OUTSIDE OF A HUB.
- EARN $2 IN TAR HEEL BIKES CREDITS WHEN STARTING YOUR RIDE AT A PRIORITY HUB. PRIORITY HUBS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE BUT ARE LABELED (P) ON THE SYSTEM MAP ON THE APP AND WEBSITE.
GPS Tracking provides wireless connectivity and real-time data. Users can register, reserve, ride, and return bikes using their smartphone or computer.
No bulky, expensive kiosks necessary! Each Gotcha Bike is equipped with a robust U-Bar lock that is compatible with most standard bike racks.
Dedicated fleet management and rider support ensure a successful bike share program. Maintenance issues can be reported directly from the bike.